Connersville News Examiner--First-time candidate Locke: Sacrifices worth it despite loss

First-time candidate Locke: Sacrifices worth it despite loss

By Thad Lewis, The Connersville News-Examiner

The timing was wrong to run for state auditor on the Democrat ticket, but former Connersville resident Sam Locke would not take back his effort for all the world.

“I was disappointed with the results but we knew the obstacles.  It was a wave year for the Republicans and that worked against us across the state,” he said.  “The timing was wrong, but we were right on everything else.  If it had been the other side of the coin, it would have been our year.”

Locke said despite the loss, he is remaining positive because he got his name in front of state voters and received 37 percent of the vote.

“It was just incredible for a first-time showing.  I look forward to staying in touch with all those I met along the way and will wait and see what happens next,” he said.

Locke won Fayette County, 3,298 to 2,566, over Republican incumbent Tim Berry and 253 for Eric Knipe, Libertarian.

“I was just overwhelmed when I heard those results.  Very few counties received Democrat support and I am especially proud that Fayette County, my hometown, supported and put their trust in me.  In the year of the Republican, I am just overwhelmed,” he said.

Locke was especially excited over the local race for circuit court judge, sheriff and others that Democrats either retained or picked up.

“I was happy to hear that Beth (Butsch), Billy (Wayson) and Melinda (Sudhoff) and the others won.  Those people and others in the local party have been instrumental in my success and I wish them the best of luck in their journeys,” he said.

That next step for Locke is up in the air.

“It’s hard to say.  I enjoyed every second of it (campaigning).  I enjoyed meeting people across the state and I still have passion for public service and I still have plans for Hoosiers,” he said.  “There is still a lot of energy left inside us and doors were opened across the state.”

Locke said he is also appreciative of Democrats Pete Buttigieg who lost in the state treasurer race to Richard Mourdock, a Republican, and Vop Osili, who lost the secretary of state race to Republican Charlie White.

“We are still going to keep in touch.  The friendship I made with Pete and Vop will last a long time and Indiana has not heard the last from us.”

On Wednesday morning, Locke was back to work and had to catch a flight to Florida.  He spoke to the News Examiner by cell phone Thursday.  He works in the giving department for the headquarters of the Presbyterian Church.

“I am already back to work.  No rest here,” he said.  “I am back in the saddle for them and we support a wealth of causes.  It is truly fulfilling helping people do God’s work everyday.”

Locke now plans to enjoy some time with his wife Kara.

“I am going to spend some time with her and be a better husband.  She was a big supporter and she took a big sacrifice for me,” he said.

Locke said he traveled more than 125,000 miles and visited almost all 92 counties.

“It was an incredible journey.  I wouldn’t trade it for the world,” he said.

Fayette County Democrat Chairman Tim Rose said he is proud of what Locke was able to accomplish this year.

“We are very proud of Sam and we are glad he won Fayette County.  Being county chairman, I am glad his hometown supported him.  It’s just a shame the state didn’t follow.  Sam is a rising star in the Democrat Party and I am certain he will be moving on to bigger and better things,” he said.

What follows is an excerpt from Locke’s election night concession speech:

“In thinking of the results from this evening, I am reminded of a line from a song I heard in Church growing up in Connersville.  The line read, ‘We may lose a battle every now and then, but we’ve already won the war.’

“It appears tonight that across Indiana, and indeed the nation, our Party has lost this battle.  But we will win the war.  We will win the war because we are the Party that stands with children, not corporations.  Because we are the Party that fights for the Veteran’s who have fought for us.  Because we are the Party that creates solutions to complex problems, not the one who governs in sound bites.  Because we are the Party who believes in reform while protecting jobs and workers.  Because we are the Party that welcomes everyone and champions diversity.  And because, even through all of this, we are the Party that would rather choose hope than nope.

“Friends, because of you, this is kid from Connersville has had the ride of his life-but the ride is not over yet.  In the coming weeks, let’s re-build, re-group, re-energize, reform, and re-ignite and let’s go win the war on behalf of our great state!”

Comments

Popular Posts